1 Corinthians Overview
This Sunday at Penning Park Church we will begin a new sermon series on 1 Corinthians. The Church at Corinth was a beautiful mess. God was at work in them but there was also a lot of sin and division. Paul appeals to them to pursue the unity Christ purchased. Though there are many potential sources of strife and conflict in the Church, in this letter we see that it’s the gospel of Jesus that reconciles us. Though we as individuals and a church body have many weaknesses and failings, in this letter we see that it’s the gospel of Jesus that saves, sanctifies (matures), and sustains us to the end.
Ways to Prepare for Starting the Series this Sunday
- Purchase an ESV Scripture Journal for 1 Corinthians. These provide the text of Scripture on one side and a blank page on the other side so you can take notes throughout this study.
- Read or listen to 1 Corinthians in its entirety before Sunday morning. This will provide a great overview of the book and give you context to Paul’s entire letter.
- Pray that God would use this book in your life. Ask God to speak to you through it, reviving your heart, encouraging you in the gospel, convicting you where there’s sin, and stirring you to love others more.
- Invite someone to join us as we kick off this new series about Christ and his Church.
Introductions to 1 Corinthians
Learn more about the book through these overviews.
- Bible project video overview of 1 Corinthians.
- Introduction to 1 Corinthians.
- The Gospel in 1 Corinthians.
- 1 Corinthians: A 12-Week Study Guide
- 1 Corinthians by Mark Taylor
- The First Epistle to the Corinthians by Gordon Fee
- 1 Corinthians by Leon Morris
For those who want to know where we’ll be in 1 Corinthians over the next couple of months, here’s are current plan.
|9-27||A Beautiful Mess||1:1-3|
|10-4||God’s Generous, Sustaining, Faithful Grace||1:4-9|
|10-18||Causes and Cures to Division||1:10-17|
|10-25||The Foolish Wisdom of the Cross||1:17-2:5|
|11-1||True vs. False Wisdom||2:6-16|
|11-8||Symptoms and Solutions to Division||3:1-17|
|11-15||Self Awareness and Spiritual Maturity||3:18-4:5|